Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Welcome Boat

I know it's normally called the welcome wagon, but I'm so special that I got welcomed into Greenville by a boat. Jack (and the rest of the people at the Greenville Drive) had the past three days off because of the All-Star Break and we got invited to spend it at a lake house in Georgia. I was a little anxious because I was going somewhere where I didn't know anyone and had no escape route besides running away. And given how my workouts have been going, I'd probably only make it about 100 yards before keeling over and crawling back to get some water.

The Fiorillos have two basic rules for making someone new feel welcome: (1) Give them a lot of alcohol and (2) Make numerous inappropriate sexual comments. Whether it's my dad subtly putting a second beer in front of you or my mom trying to make the "Shocker" symbol with her hand, people tend to loosen up pretty quickly (or they leave). This weekend (week beginning? What do you call Monday-Wednesday?) I realized that I do it to make myself more comfortable... which meant Jack's friends had better be comfortable with a little bit of drinking and several under-my-breath boner jokes. I made guacamole as a safety net in case they weren't.

It turned out being awesome- perfect weather, an entire day out on the boat, jumping off a giant rock (eek!), and more Catchphrase than I've played in the first 24 years of my life. It was a great start to the move down here, as long as all my new friends don't tire of my sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment