Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Real Adventure

Is Skyping my mom. I did it earlier today in a bout of boredom after Jack left for work and was reminded of all the things she does that always keep the person she's Skyping guessing. Like...

...the fact that her webcam works about 14% of the time. I'd like to attribute it to technical difficulties, but I think the real reason is her inability to find the "Add Video" button. This means that instead of truly videochatting, I'm stuck staring at a tiny screen image of myself in the bottom right hand corner of my screen knowing that my mom is watching me, kind of like a stalker.

...her understanding that just because I can't see her means I can't hear her. Whenever she picks up the call, she's always yelling. Usually, I can hear the telltale intro music to Law and Order blasting in the background. The loudness is compounded by her tendency to add a vowel to the end of most words and hold them out for extended periods of time ("Sariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!").

...the random things that happen during the interaction.

In the middle of a story, it suddenly sounded as if her computer had been picked up by a tornado.

"What are you doing?" I shouted over the noise. It stopped.

"Oh, I was just cleaning out my keyboard. You know, with one of those air sprayers."

Not exactly the right time, Mom.

At least it's always entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment