Thursday, September 22, 2011

What Did You Learn Today?

When I was teaching, I used to make my kids share what they learned at our end of the day meeting. Maybe it was because my parents made me tell them what I learned in school at dinner every night, but mostly because it was a good measure of whether they were paying attention to me or to the cap eraser people game they all played in their desks. Now that I'm in law school, I feel like I should keep the tradition going by telling my roommates the legal subtleties I picked up on that day. For example:

  • If I can prove negligence by slipping on a banana peel in a grocery store, I'd probably be able to pay for law school with the damages
  • I cannot, in fact, rig a spring-loaded shotgun to protect my abandoned farmhouse down the road
  • About 90% of disputed contracts occur at either (a) the company Christmas party after several rounds of egg nog or (b) the local pub over frothing pints of ale (according to my contracts professor)
  • The difference between sans serif and serif fonts (I'm really not sure why that's necessary to become a lawyer, but oh well)
There you have it, Mom. One thing from each class. Isn't it just riveting?

No comments:

Post a Comment