Monday, October 31, 2011

Sharing the Banana

I never thought about going to my brother's calling hours and funeral before last week. I woke up this morning thinking about how long the next two days would be. How unbearable they would be. Picking up an 8x10 for his casket this morning only reinforced that.

But my cousin texted me and reminded me that "You will never be surrounded by this many people who love you and your family. You are not alone these next two days. There is no doubt they will suck but there will be just as much love in that room as there has been pain." She's right. One of the first long days we spent in the hospital waiting room, we found ourselves having trouble eating (not a problem that has ever occurred in our family). I tried to eat a banana for breakfast. I couldn't finish it. I gave it to my sister to finish. She couldn't finish it either. Finally, that same cousin who sent me the previous text took the last two bites.

It may take three of us to finish a banana, and it may take a village to get through the next day, but we will carry each other through it as we've been doing since this awful thing started.

No comments:

Post a Comment