Thursday, July 8, 2010

Get Out Yo Seat and Romp Around

One of the more amusing things about teaching lower elementary is the gifts you get from the kids throughout the course of the year.  Ask any K-2 teacher and they'll be able to tell you about some pretty hilarious and outrageous things that kids have brought in.  One of my student's former teachers donated a huge 3' by 1' decorative art piece that was clearly plucked off the wall of their home (or off the curb in front of a random stranger's house) in a last ditch attempt at Christmas spirit.  Some have gotten pints of obscure perfumes or toys from fast food kid's meals.  My aunt had to call home after a first-grader began stealing jewelery from his mother to give to his beloved teacher.

My mother, since her school was closing and she was retiring, brought home a massive box of gifts.  Most of them were cards and letters, ranging from "I hope you enjoy retirement" to "I'll dream about you every night."  She also got a cardboard box that was meticulously covered with colored duct tape with a large F protruding from the top of it.


I have received my fair share of thoughtful and bizarre gifts, ranging from Chick-fil-a gift cards to stuffed animals to the homemade flower pen I mentioned in a previous post.  My favorite and most random gift came on the last day of school just as one of the most well-behaved kids in my class left, handing me a cute little gift bag (I take a lot of notice of cute gift bags and cards).  I didn't get the chance to open it until the next day, when I found a pajama romper from Target inside.  Why a student and his parents would decide that a green floral onesie would be an appropriate end-of-year gift for a teacher is beyond me.  All I know is that it is the perfect summer accessory for me, letting me wear it all day when I've woken up past noon singing my "Romp Around" song (to the tune of this classic).  It really lets me capture the feeling of summer and my lack of responsibility and we all could learn a little something about the feeling you get when wearing one.  Those of you that aren't teachers, though, will have to go out and spend the money yourself.

 The romper in question from Target.com 
(no, I did not model it myself and then post it on my blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment