Thursday, July 8, 2010

When LeBron James Was a First-Grader...

I'm no sports junkie, but my boyfriend is.  Usually I can sound somewhat intelligent by parroting what he and his friends have discussed in front of me and pretending that they're my own thoughts (sneaky, right?).  It's because of him that I know about the whole LeBron one-hour special tonight about his decision of where he'll play next, and because of him that I've formed the opinion that he is sort of acting childish in his request to have a prime-time special centering around his choice that would probably take up about a minute or two of the programming.  It would arguably take up that much time in the same slot even if he had released it in the way most of the other free agents had (given ESPN's propensity for beating the day's sports stories to death).

It made me think of what he might have been like as a first-grader, perhaps demanding that the kids watch him pick others to play on his team for that game with the big plastic basket and the different holes for the ball to come out.  He would definitely be the one shooting paper towels into the garbage can in the bathroom, chest-bumping his much smaller classmates who had not yet washed their hands.  It's because of him that all the students in my class would steal the sidewalk chalk from the communal bin during recess, rub it vigorously on their hands, and begin clapping clouds of dust into the air screeching "I'm the king!  I'm the king!"  (That really did happen pretty frequently).  Come to think of it, that's probably where his whole pre-game routine started- on the first grade playground.  Just some non-sports thoughts on a sports issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment