Thursday, December 3, 2009

Laugh to Keep from Crying, Blog to Keep from Falling Asleep

My week has actually been a pretty good one, at least after my multiple meltdowns leading up to the first day back from Thanksgiving break. My kids have been really funny and cute this week, in spite of the overwhelming amount of time I've had to spend with them. Having my one 45 minute planning break CANCELED two days in a row was rough. All day, all in my room, just me and 20 six year olds. That is the definition of madness. At the end of the day, though, they all wanted to miss the bus so that they could stay and hang out with me. Even I don't want to hang out with me that much. Some of the highlights from the week:

-The holiday program. Both times I had to sit through it. Something about hearing six renditions of Jingle Bells on the recorder (yes, apparently you can capture the subtle differences between Traditional. Country Western, Native American, Waltz, Rap, and Cha Cha Jingle Bells on the most annoying flat-toned instrument in the world) really let me look past all the frustrations and stress of teaching... at least for a little while. Plus during the school performance, all of K-2 kids were shouting the words... it was adorable.

-When the loudest girl in my class asked me how many children I had. She included a picture of me with my husband and baby in her writing piece. My husband had no arms and triangle hair, and my baby was a tiny stick figure that stood on my left shoulder.

-One of the more country (read: redneck) kids saying "Holy flapmother!" What does that even mean?

-Surviving what is called the worst week in teaching. High five... to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment