Wednesday, June 30, 2010

You're Leaving? When I Specifically Asked You Not To?!

One effect of a bad economy is the tendency of people to reconsider their employment situations, whether it becomes a necessity because of being laid off or a strategic move to gain stability.  Apparently this economy has even had that impact on fictional characters, because this weekend I learned the incredibly upsetting news that Michael Scott will be bidding his employees and adoring fans goodbye after the coming season (a reporter from the NY Times interviewed him about his decision, I'll let you read what she said about it).

To say that I watch The Office religiously would be an understatement.  To say that I am pretty familiar with the characters and most of the episodes would be an insult.  I consider myself one of those obnoxious people who could reenact the entire show, Season 1 to its most current episode, with my eyes closed and the TV on mute.

All in all, I think that it's probably time for the show to end anyway and that Carell is making a smart move to leave.  I'm hoping the NBC and the show's writers will see it my way too- that Dunder Mifflin is nothing without Michael Scott- and end the show after Carell goes.  Anyone who has watched from the first season can attest to the evolution of the show from the extremely dry humor of its pilot (a nearly identical re-make of the British pilot) to its more expansive and outlandish cast of today.  The best seasons are the ones that have mixed the two kinds of comedy- in my opinion, Seasons 2 and 3 (maybe 4 too).

Anyway, I'll end this post with my favorite Office moments, ones that have taught me a lot about social etiquette, business professionalism, and personal relationships.  Enjoy!


"Guess what?  I have flaws.  What are they?  Oh, I don't know- I sing in the shower.  Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering.  Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car.  So sue me- no don't sue me.  That is the opposite of the point I'm trying to make."

No comments:

Post a Comment