Tuesday, January 11, 2011

It's Okay, I'm in Teach For America

As I apply to law schools and various jobs in one of the worst economic recessions in history, I can't help but feel like I'm immune to it all.  It's not just me.  Most of my friends in TFA are following the same type of path, applying to prestigious grad schools and job programs and not blinking twice.  It makes me think of those old Holiday inn commercials, because almost everyone answers questions of competitiveness with the same answer- "It's okay, I'm in Teach For America."

It's not necessarily that we're cocky, but we've been inflated quite a bit by all the hype that's going around.  My year the acceptance rate was around 11%, so I think our self-esteem has been boosted by the difficulty of just getting into the program, and even more by the difficulty of sticking with it for two years.  As I get deeper into the law school application process and the job application process, I'm pretty tempted to submit a letter that just says, "I did TFA.  Isn't that enough?" I'm starting to second-guess that mentality, but am still holding out for people to be wildly impressed.  False hope?

Probably.  But at the very least I've gained confidence that if I ever get thrown into a situation for which I'm completely unprepared, I WILL come out alive-not too bad of a feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment