Sunday, January 16, 2011

Knock, Knock

It's me, Sara. Given that it's one o'clock and I've just woken up, you're probably assuming I went out last night and you would be right.  However, I did not sleep in because of my late arrival home.  I slept in because after getting home and eating a few sugar-free Snack Packs, I had no choice but to finish reading the last book in the Steig Larsson series, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.  For two hours.  I say I had no choice because all I could think about while I was out was how it was going to end.  So when songs I didn't know came on (and for some reason, there seemed to be a lot), I speculated about the plot.  Nerd?  Yes.

Which actually is not why I wanted to write this blog.  Waking up in the afternoon is pretty out of character for me.  I don't really sleep in anymore, and I DEFINITELY don't nap anymore.  And not that I'm some kind of pop music junkie, but there usually aren't too many occasions when I've never heard a song before in a bar and everyone else has.

Of course, I'm not saying that I've just transformed into a nerd now.  I've always been a nerd.  But in the wake of all these cover pages and personal statements, I actually have to think about how I present myself.  Which means I have to figure out at least a general idea of what kind of person I've turned into since 24 six- and seven-year-olds became the center of my world.  With an upcoming phone conversation with a prospective employer, I'm sure they're going to ask me to tell them about myself.  I used to be able to do that.  Now... well, let's just say that telling people that you schedule out your week in meals every Sunday is not exactly the most interesting life detail.

Even beyond that purpose- how do I go about figuring what I want to do with my life now?  A year and a half ago, when I graduated, I had a much better grip on the kind of person I was and I still had no idea.  People ask me why I'm applying to certain jobs and not others, and all I can tell them is- "Well, I don't really know."  Someone who sat next to me on the plane on my way home for Christmas break told me to have faith that the steps I take in my twenties will eventually lead me down the right path.  He didn't sound quite that spiritual, but he seemed to have a good point.  If you want something, even if it's quite vague, you naturally position yourself in a place to achieve that goal.  It's what happened to him.  Granted, he had an MBA from Harvard, so I'm pretty sure he could've done quite a lot of jobs he didn't want as well.

Now that my book is finished, I guess I have some time to try to figure out where it is that I'm going, which will not be an easy task given that this blog post doesn't even have any direction.  I'm just thinking out loud.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment