Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day Code

My mom came in this weekend on her way down to Florida for her two month retirement vacation.  I've been counting on her to pull me out of my quarter-life crisis and advise me on EXACTLY what to do with my life and how to do it.  Unfortunately, I guess other people can't give you that advice and I'm on my own.  This didn't help my situation much.

What DID help my situation was the fact that the entire city of Charlotte shut down today (including CMS) because of the greatest amount of snowfall in seven years.  Maybe it was only four inches, but I'll take it.  Not to mention that our apartment complex looks like a winter wonderland (see below).
Snowpocalypse!
Although my mom wasn't able to tell me what to do with the rest of my life, she was able to introduce my roommates and me to "The Snow Day Code."  Let me elaborate.

Part I: The Anticipation
Teachers (and students) know what I'm talking about- it's a crisp and clear school night and the smell of snow is in the air.  All the meteorologists are calling for snow, or, if you're in the South, last minute trips to the grocery store to stock up on 30 days worth of canned food and bottled water.  The pieces are there, but ultimately, the fate of the next day lies in the hands of the snow gods.  Who need a little extra nudging in the form of interpretive movement.

Yes, kids, I'm talking about the snow day dance.  You are probably familiar with the superstitions- wearing your pajamas inside out, banging on pots and pans, shamelessly trying to convince your parents to let you have a sleepover with your friends because there will DEFINITELY not be school the next day.  But my mom (and probably her clan of former KP beavers) have PERFECTED the snow day traditions with a fail proof routine.

For snow, simply chant the words "Blow and drift!" while moving your hands and hips erratically from side to side.  It works best if you have had a few cocktails beforehand.

Snow not in the forecast?  Relying instead on other forms of inclement winter weather to cancel your workday?  The magic words for that one would be "Sleet and freeing rain!" sung while shaking your keys over head.  Again, the sound of the keys against an aluminum beer can usually intensifies the chant.

Needless to say, it worked.  From what I've heard, teachers almost always get called in for a workday in spit of poor weather, so the announcement of "Code C" this morning at 4:30 am (meaning essential personnel only) was quite exciting.

Part II: The Enjoyment
According to my mom, there are several key essentials to a successful snow day.  First of all, you need to jump up and down ecstatically when you first hear the news (check).  Next, you have to watch the local news station for at least an hour to make sure that it's for real (check).  After those two steps, the real snow day enjoyment begins.

Rule #1: Snow days are free days, not days to catch up on work.
My roommates and I failed this one.  Because of my recent crisis, I spent the morning applying to jobs and convincing myself I was doomed to live in my parents' basement, penniless, for the rest of my life.  One roommate was tracking student data.  The other was organizing papers.  My mom nearly had to force Kahlua and hot chocolate on us to get us to stop.  Which leads to...

Rule #2: Snow days require at least one nap and at least one alcoholic beverage.
I don't think this one takes much explanation.  We finally caught on after Ellen's prompting.
Movie time with appropriate snow day snacks
Rule #3: You must wear the most embarrassing lounging around clothing that you own.
This means rainbow pajama paints, multi-colored fleece socks, and stained sweatshirts.  The comfiest things you own.  I don't care if the Queen of England is coming to pay you a personal visit- this is the code.  I was sufficiently embarrassed when the maintenance man came in to turn off or carbon monoxide alarm after an unfortunate fireplace incident, but again- the code.

Part III: The Wind Down
All you need for this stage is a good meal.  And a TV with a weather report so you can check the chances of an additional snow day tomorrow, giving yourself ample time to digest and possibly do another dance.  Join me again in about six hours, and we might have another chance to get the snow day code right tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment