Tuesday, August 30, 2011

On the Other Side of the Mason-Dixon

Orientation starts tomorrow, and aside from my North Carolina driver's licence, I'm pretty close to being a Yankee again. In the midst of all the anxiety about all these new chapters in my life (excuse the cliche, I've been in the car too long today), I'm finding myself nostalgic for certain parts of good ol' Dixie. Shall I list what I miss?

  • Chick-fil-A. Especially on Sunday, when no one in the country can have it.
  • Fried pickles. A Southern delicacy.
  • 80+ degrees. The weather up here is equivalent to Carolina December, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that.
  • Ya'll. Nothing but the cheesy "you guys" or vague and cold plural "you."
  • Four (or more) different country radio stations. Or any radio stations, given that I've been in upstate New York for the past week.
  • People of the South. I mean the people I knew, not the strangers. I miss my friends.
  • Leisurely driving. Maybe use a turn signal, maybe don't. Slow down in the passing lane so people can read your vanity plate (every other car has one). People drive too fast in Massachusetts to make vanity plates worth it.
I'm sure there's more than that, but it's all my tired brain can handle right now. Back to being a student tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment