Saturday, November 28, 2009

Surprise!!!

Where I REALLY went for Thanksgiving was not home, like my boyfriend thought I was, but to Tampa, where his family was visiting his mom's parents. It was pretty cool to successfully orchestrate a surprise, especially since I've known since the beginning of September and somehow managed to keep the secret to myself.

It's funny to spend time with other people's families. It makes you think about what's normal, if there is such a thing in families. My family is nuts, as you may be able to see from previous posts (and if you are lucky enough to know them). Needless to say, I think I felt pretty at home down there- about as comfortable as I could be if I wasn't with my own family. One thing I've noticed, getting to know different people and their mothers and fathers and siblings and cousins, is that very few people actually talk to them. I mean REALLY talk to them. That was definitely not it down there. It made it much easier to be away from my family because I could laugh at inappropriate jokes about penises and farting without pretending I'm coughing.

Not to mention the food was WONDERFUL.

Now I'm back in Charlotte, first of my roommates in the apartment, trying to get some planning and stuff done for the final three weeks before Christmas. I'm feeling so blah about getting back to teaching, especially after such an awesome break. It's always such a roller coaster, getting so excited about seeing someone you love and then having to go back and do something that you still haven't settled into. Hopefully I won't get too bummed out (especially on top of the typical Sunday night anxiety).

No comments:

Post a Comment