Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Weekend Getaway

After spending the weekend in lovely Hartford, CT, I come back feeling... a little frazzled. I had a student transferred into my class 5 minutes before students came in Monday morning, so I got to have fun scrambling around (in addition to all of the scrambling around I normally do Monday mornings.

Even so, the weekend was glorious. It was so good to see all of my friends and hang out with my boyfriend. I got a little out of control on Saturday, but who doesn't? It's homecoming. Plus I rebounded for Saturday night, so no harm done.

I'm still a little torn about whether seeing people that mean a lot to me makes me feel better or not. Coming back was probably the worst it's ever been, sitting in the airport with that ache that comes after a really great Trinity weekend and trying to breathe life into my dying phone and computer. It was just long enough to snap into a feeling of carelessness, of no responsibility and happiness in stretch pants watching bad daytime TV. I don't get to feel that way often in Charlotte, not in the way I did when I was in college. Of course, I was reminded of things I hated at Trinity, at least by the end of my time there. Things like pretentious party "bouncers" rejecting unfavorable guy to girl ratios, drunk bitches (I'm sorry, there are no other nonvulgar word that can accurately describe those things) pushing past you to get a beer half filled with foam, and tiny college refrigerators that don't really keep any beverages cold enough. I still found myself wishing (at least a little bit) that I was back to being able to just lay in bed all day, lazy and soaking up the life where anything that was a real concern could be put off during the weekend.

On a lighter, more teaching-related note, I've been trying to re-test the reading level of some of my kids so that I can put them in new groups after Thanksgiving break. One of my girls started out this year right about on grade level, reading well but still pretty average. Today... she was reading at SECOND grade level (already!! It's November!!) and going strong. I still have more books for her to read to see exactly how high she can go. I'm so excited though. A little skeptical that it was me ("So, uh, what exactly do your parents do with you at home?") but excited nonetheless.

For now, it's back to more lesson planning and what not. I could go on in much more detail about the weekend... but I'll spare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment