Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A New Kind of Aromatherapy

This week is crazy.  I have school and TFA meetings pretty much until 8 pm every night and I'm banking on my quick reflexes to get me through the day.  One thing that is managing to ease my stress is my kids' insistence lately that I smell them.

Yes, more than one child has asked me to smell them.

The first one happened when they were lining up after lunch, when the smiling caboose of my line said,

"Miss Fiorillo, smell me!"  He was sniffing his arm.
"No, thank you.  I don't smell my students."
"But I smell good!"
Well in that case...

Then, the next day, a very soft spoken girl tried to talk to me during morning work:

"Miss Fiorillo, my mom put mumblemumblemumble."
"What's that?"
"Mango."
"Oh, do you like mango?"
"No.  There's mango in my hair."
What are you supposed to say to that?  "Oh... that's nice."
She looked at me, wide-eyed.  "Do you want to smell it?"
I never thought I'd have to say "No thank you, I don't smell my students" twice in one week.

And finally, during reading workshop, one of my students with a farting problem let a few go, causing me to stare her down to cut it out.  "Can you smell it?" she asked.

Just then another boy raised his hand to tell me that someone had passed gas and the stink was making it very difficult to work... no kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment