Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Seriously Intense To-Do List

First REAL day in my school, with all the staff working and meeting and conversing. Which was cool, in a way, although it's really difficult to learn people's names when they introduce themselves by first names and others reference them by last name. (i.e. "I'm looking for Miss Hall." "I am Miss Hall." ... Whoops.) I've gotten really used to hearing "What do you mean you don't have/know how to *insert absolutely vital teacher knowledge or action here*?" but surprisingly it's not worrying me that much. We'll see if I'm on the same page tomorrow when my classroom walls are still blank and I'm trying to make math weather calendars for the rest of the year (what does that even mean?).

On an exciting note, I got to go to a totally awesome nonprofit organization today called Classroom Central. People donate office supplies, school supplies... actually, pretty much anything and teachers make appointments to go in and "shop" for free. I ended up getting a TON of stuff- poster paper, foam board, die-cuts, colored pencils and crayons, composition books- and almost getting run over by frantic carts of first year teachers. It was well worth it though. This is definitely an organization people should support. I didn't realize until very recently how much of their own money teachers spend until I was snatching up 22 cent glue sticks at Target like a crazy person.

This is serving as my main method of procrastination for the loads and loads of things I could/should be doing now, but I need some down time after the shopping craze and the whirlwind (yes, whirlwind) that was today. It's getting me so excited, but more in the way where I want to make my to-do list aesthetically pleasing and in alphabetical order than actually get down to doing the real work. Oh well. At least it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment