Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Start of It All...

So here it is- the blog of all blogs following me as I shape and mold the little 6-year-old baby brains of North Carolina. I figured this would be a good way to keep everyone on track with what I'm doing as far as TFA goes so that when I do have time for those precious little phone calls, I don't feel the need to go on and on about how so-and-so broke his pencil eight times in the course of twenty minutes.

No teaching yet, just orientation. I'm getting used to the school, setting up my BEAUTIFUL classroom (that is completely blank and boring right now), meeting tons and tons of teachers, and hole-punching a whole lot of handbooks, calendars, and procedures for my special new teacher binder. WOO. I think I'm actually transforming into a teacher too, which is a pretty strange thing to experience. I'm finding myself picking up cardigans and orthopedic flats with a lot more interest than I used to, plus I'm spending entirely too much time in Staples, Books a Million, and the "See Spot Save Back to School Specials" section in Target. A more shameful part of being a teacher is the fact that I ask if there's a teacher discount everywhere- clothing stores, restaurants, gas stations... you name it, I ask.

Tomorrow is curriculum training for elementary, which means lots of talk about reading comprehension and fluency and all that fun stuff. All of that is making this a real thing. That I'll actually be in charge of small children. Yikes. It's a little overwhelming. On the bright side, I finally get to let loose and act like a complete fool because kids love that kind of stuff. AND the most important part- reading out loud!! I finally have people who HAVE to listen to me do it... makes me so so excited.

That's all for now. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment