Friday, October 22, 2010

Halloween's A-Comin'

Halloween is a pretty controversial holiday around here.  Hence the blog title.  One of my kid's legitimately told me that October 31st is the devil's birthday.

At school, it means having a book character parade in order to fend off zealous parents who don't want their children participating in pagan rituals as offensive as wearing costumes.  Talking about the big event today in planning made me reminisce back to my Halloween days.  I cried pretty much every year because October 31st in upstate NY might as well be the dead of winter.  As a result, we had to wear winter coats.  Thick winter coats.  Under our costumes.  This meant instead of being a beautiful angel, I was a fat angel.  Instead of a graceful butterfly, a fat butterfly.  And instead of a freakish clown with blue hair... actually, the fat part probably didn't really affect the coolness of the costume.  Still, that kind of stuff sticks with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment