Sunday, March 13, 2011

Daylight Keeping Time

I've never understood why they call it Daylight Savings Time. It's not like you're saving anything. Changing the time forward or backward has no effect on how long the day actually is; it just changes what the clock says. It's all a matter of perspective... it's a matter of whether you want light at 6 in the morning or 8 at night.

For me, it means it's dark when I get to work again. Bummer.

But in a more philosophical way, I think maybe I need my own shift in perspective away from this attitude where I do not like my job (at least a lot of parts of my jobs) and count down the days until it's over. I need to try to find some light in what I do. Because there are great moments in my day somewhere, even if it takes some serious emotional excavation to find it. Case in point? My reading class is amazing, and we have fun together EVEN on the days when the kids (or me) are not 100% on the ball. And the fact that most of my homeroom is genuinely sweet, whether they bring in extra pieces of their birthday cake or tracings of Disney characters with Spanish captions. However I look at it, it's time to start looking forward (get it?).

No comments:

Post a Comment