Monday, September 21, 2009

Shared Misery

The bond of going through hell. I've thought about this theory for a long time, and I can't think of many situations in which it doesn't hold true.

Go through any awful experience with someone and chances are you'll come out of it best friends. When I think about the friendships I've formed over the years, I've realized that they usually stem from some really traumatic event, from the physically trying (3-a-day preseason practices) to the mentally stressful (this whole teaching without experience thing) to the really stupid (surviving champagne hangovers on Wednesday mornings). I think it's because if you can still stand someone after being in excessive amounts of physical/mental pain, you hedge your bets and figure you might as well keep them around. Think about it. It's easy to go to some perfectly lovely event and have a perfectly lovely time with even the most bland or boring person. BUT to be able to survive a hellish experience and be able to laugh about it with someone... now that's true friendship.

Just some thoughts. Maybe this means my kids and I will be best friends by the time May comes around...

In all seriousness, it's only hellish because I am a crazy control freak/perfectionist who hates being bad at anything. The kids are just kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment